River of Life ~Sming's

Me and just me.

Thursday, September 21, 2006
English Speaking??? !!!
Before I proceed, just want to express my relief that the situation in Bangkok is peaceful. ..... :) Whew!! The situation was sort of exaggerated I guess.. Hehe.. and just what drama addict like me need. :P
Ok, back to my topic.
Lately, there is a vendor stationed in my office. He is just sitting in front of me. He has black hair, brown eyes and yellow skin..--> Cheena lar.. But he speaks with an ang moh slang. Today, Amy, our colleague sort of suggested to invite him to have lunch with us. I replied no la.. with his slang, I am worried that I would take off my high heels and slap him halfway through lunch..
Hehehe...
Seriously, I just find people like this irritating..
Eh.. You Cheena lar.. why speak like kwai lou here. If you are studying overseas, you want to speak to kwai lous like that, by all means. But you are back here... Speak lar like Malaysian. And people who say they have stayed overseas too long and have adapted to the slang. Ahhh.. BULLSHIT la, unless you are born and bred there. Anytime, if you want, you can speak like a normal Malaysian. Speaking in slang doesn't mean you are any better than any of us..
That comes back to a mindset.. Have you all ever feel or been taught to find people who can speak better English are superior ?
Is this common to you??
"Wahh.. her English very good.. fi li fe leh.. canggih !!You must be like her else people will laugh at you"
"Yerr, like that also can become speaker meh ? SO many grammer mistakes..."
Hey hello !!
We are Chinese!! Our English must be so British meh?? (Malay, Indian also same, but I am Cheena so I speak for Cheena !)
Don't get me wrong. English is important as a means of communication. BUT, it is not a way to rate whether the person is superior or successful.
I am Chinese educated and I am proud of it. My spoken English might sound abit Cheena and yat kau yat kau AND there might be grammers in my writing, but it is ok. I can write, read and converse in English pretty comfortably. People understand me, I understand them. No problemo !!
Most importantly is that I can write, read and speak Mandarin, my mother tongue. I still remember the roots of my origin. I am still connected.
I believe everyone should have a good command of own their mother tongue or at least a dialect. The least is to be able to speak and understand.
If you can't even converse in your own mother tongue/ dialect, you should be ashamed of yourself. No matter how superb your command of English is. Especially, if a person of different color speaks to you in your own language..( I have seen Malays, Indians and even non-chinese foreigners speaking our language/ dialect) and you can't answer them . Won't you feel ashamed ?
My children are so going to a Chinese school.
They will thank me when they reach the age to go into karaokes. :P
posted by sming @ 3:40 PM  
9 Comments:
  • At 5:29 PM, Blogger Las montañas said…

    :~( I admit I potato ok...

     
  • At 6:02 PM, Blogger sming said…

    haha. you banana flavoured mashed potato ?
    I think you are ok. Still can manage to warn me about being dai fei ju...
    Anyway, never too late to learn if you want to. :)
    I m just hentam-ing those who cannot speak their own language but fili feleh in English and think they are superior..

     
  • At 10:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i can speak my own dialek...
    those that make me one of them :)


    8enji

     
  • At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    macam perli je...but ur right as long ppl can understand u its fine... maybe we learn how to speak Thai English.. barulah nice... Yes madam...

     
  • At 11:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    8enji, even though ur mandarin abit salah.. but u r not..

    Ah_loong_siu, aiii... I where got perli you.. I scold u only mar. :P

    Anyway, to everyone, I gotta clarify that THE VENDOR is actually an Indonesian.. So, with limited Cheena influence n education in homeland.. understandably will become like this lor...i take back my 'criticism' towards him.. *now searching for new target*
    keng meh ??

     
  • At 11:23 AM, Blogger sming said…

    I am so SALAH.. that Anonymous comment is actually ME
    aii..

     
  • At 5:00 PM, Blogger Patrick said…

    Yes, sming, i agree with u.
    it remember me last time on my ex -ex company hor... got one cheena general manager hor.. is banana lah...

    he criticize me got a poor english, ask me to go n back n study...

    then i look down at him and reply " Dear Mr General Manager, At least I am proud to be a cheena man!"

    then from that day onwards he keep his mouth shut liao!!
    hahhahaa...

     
  • At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I hv to disagree here! If the dude is acting to slang like ang mo then I agree dat u give him tight slap! But then if 'd poor dude really slangs like ang mo due 2 'd fact he stayed overseas for so long n mingle around wif all the ang mos, chances r his slang will remain even though he's back in m'sia. C'mon accept the fact dat u will b influenced with the way ur circle of frens talk & act in one way or another if u day in day out oso mix wif them rite? My cousin slangs whenever he talks eng or chinese or mandarin when he comes back to m'sia? Does dat make him 4getting his origin or roots? Not at all. Does that mean one will not send their kid to overseas to pursue his/her studies for they r worried that when they come back they will also "slang"? How does one define to 4get their origins or root? U tell me ...........

     
  • At 7:33 PM, Blogger sming said…

    E, I am not saying those who slang forgets about his roots.
    Anyway, u got the msg all wrong d ler.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me
About Me:
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER